Date/TimeDate(s) - 18/07/2010
Walk DetailsPub Stop?: No O/S Map Sheet No.: 44 Grid Ref. Start: Grid Ref. Finish Walk (Miles): 14 Walk Hours: Bus Time to Walk: Bus Time from Walk: Departure time from walk:
The bus will be parked at the Spittal car park all day and there are various possibilities for walks from there. Some walks are suggested below, but for safety reasons, please indicate to the Club’s day organiser which route you will be taking.
(1) A low level walk round Loch Muick – distance 8 miles.
(2) An extension to (1) – from the west end of Loch Muick a path veers off westwards to climb up to the Dubh Loch with wonderful views of the crags to the Eagle Rocks and Creag an Dubh-Loch, east and west respectively. Retrace your outwards route to return to the bus – distance 12 miles.
(3) Capel Mounth/Bachnagairn circular. At the Capel Mounth signpost (NGR 305 846), on the south side of the Loch Muick path, head southwards uphill on a good track for about 5miles to eventually descend into the upper reaches of Glen Clova. Then head northwards towards Moulzie and cross the river at a bridge around NGR 278 789. The path now goes westerly towards Bachnagairn. Cross the bridge and ascend the path to the stables above Coire Chash. Descend on the refurbished “Streak o’Lightning” path to L. Muick and return to the bus park by the south loch route – distance 13 miles.
(4) Broad Cairn (998m). From the Capel Mounth turn-off path, keep right along the south side of the loch and then climb the zig-zag path above the Black Burn. Continue along the high route above Loch Muick to the stables (NGR 256 808). From here, follow the path about WNW to the summit of Broad cairn. Return to the bus park by your outward route (12 miles). It is possible, if time permits, to also take in Cairn Bannoch (1012m) to the northwest of Broad Cairn which will add an extra 3 miles to your journey – 12 or 15 miles
(5) Fasheilach (721m). From the Mountain Rescue Post, take the path south eastwards through the valley to the east of Ant t-Sron and follow the Allt Darrarie burn for about 1.5 miles. Head northeastwards over flattish ground to reach the 698m unnamed top and continue along the boundary line to the summit of Fasheilach (721m). From the trig point, descend north eastwards down the shoulder of the hill to reach a track below Drum Cholzie (668m). Follow this track downhill to reach the main Glen Muick road below The Cairns of Cul nan Gad. Return southwards to the bus park at the Spittal – distance 10 miles.
(6) Lochnagar (1155m). Follow the signposted path at Allt na Guibhsaich uphill towards Cuidhe Crom, past Fox’s Well, then up the new Ladder path to the plateau. Go round the rim of the North East corrie past Cac Carn Mor and to the summit of Cac Carn Beag (1155m) Your return may be made either by retracing the outwards route or by descending into the valley of the Glas Allt burn to Glas Allt Shiel and then eastwards along Loch Muick to the Spittal car park – distance approximately 14 miles.