Date/TimeDate(s) - 13/04/2008
Walk DetailsPub Stop?: No O/S Map Sheet No.: 44 Grid Ref. Start: Grid Ref. Finish Walk (Miles): 12 Walk Hours: Bus Time to Walk: Bus Time from Walk: Departure time from walk:
The bus will be parked at the Spital of Muick all day (NGR 310.852) and there are many possibilities for walks and climbs from there. Some of these are described below.
For safety reasons please indicate on the attendance sheet which route you will be taking.
(1) Low level walk round Loch Muick. Walking distance=8 miles, little climbing.
(2) Extension of route(1). From the west end of Loch Muick by path up to the Dubh Loch and back. Additional walking = 4 miles +ascent of 650ft.
(3) Climb up to the hut on the col below Broad Cairn by landrover track along the lochside to Black Burn, thence by shore path and track up Coire Chash. Return by high level track along the plateau dropping down to the bridge at the Black Burn and then by lochside track back to the Spital. Walking distance= 9.5 miles + ascent of 950 ft.
(4) Extension of route(3). From the col to the summit of Broad Cairn (998m,3268ft) and back. Additional Walking = 3 miles + ascent of 980ft.
(5) For a high level walk without actually climbing to the summit plateau of Lochnagar, (useful if cloud is down on the tops), take the path from Allt-na-Guibhsaich as far as the bealach below Conachraig and Meikle Pap, cross the head of the hollow and pick up a path which branches left off the main path to the Fox’s Well and contours southwards below the slopes of Cuidhe Crom and Little Pap over Monelpie Moss. This descends to cross the Glas Allt burn and follows it down towards the edge of the trees behind Glas Allt Shiel. A track through the wood behind the house is picked up which leads to the estate road. The road is then followed North-eastwards as far as the boathouse at the east end of the loch. From there a track heads across the moor to a footbridge at the outlet of the loch and then climbs up to join the track back to the Spital. Walking distance= 9.5 miles + ascent of 1100ft
(6) Lochnagar (1155m, 3788ft) . From Allt-na-Guibsaich by the path up towards Cuidhe Crom, past the Fox’s Well then up the ladder path to the ridge. From there follow the rim of the corrie round past Cac Carn Mor (1150m, 3772ft), and on to the highest point, Cac Carn Beag. Return can be made by the same route or, alternatively, descend by the Glas Allt burn to the wood around Glas Allt Sheil and return by lochside road and then the track across the moor as in (5).