Date/TimeDate(s) - 24/05/2009
Walk DetailsPub Stop?: No O/S Map Sheet No.: 44 Grid Ref. Start: Grid Ref. Finish Walk (Miles): 13 Walk Hours: Bus Time to Walk: Bus Time from Walk: Departure time from walk:
The bus will be parked at The Spital of Muick car park (NGR 310.852) all day and there are various possibilities for walks and climbs from there. Some of these are described below. For safety reasons please indicate on the attendance sheet which route you will be taking.
(1) A low level walk round Loch Muick. Walking distance = 8 miles
(2) Extension of (1) from far end of Loch Muick by path up to the Dubh Loch and return. Additional distance = 4 miles. Ascent = 650ft.
(3) Climb up to the hut on the col below Broad Cairn by land rover track along the loch to Black Burn, thence by shore path and track up Coire Chash. Return by high level track along the plateau dropping down to the bridge at the Black Burn before returning to the Spital. Walking distance = 9 ½ miles. Ascent = 950ft.
(4) Extension of (3) from the hut on the col to the summit of Broad Cairn (998m., 3268ft), additional walking = 3 miles & climbing = 980ft, and on to Cairn Bannoch (1012m., 3319ft) via Cairn of Gowal (983m.,3124ft) with further additional walking of 3 miles and 690ft of ascent.
(5) Lochnagar (1155m., 3788ft) from Allt-na-Guibhsaich by the path up towards Cuidhe Crom, past the Fox’s well, then up the Ladder path to the ridge. Then round the rim of the North East Corrie past Cac Carn Mor (1150m, 3772ft) and on to the highest point Cac Carn Beag (3788ft). return may be made either the same way or descend by the Glas Allt burn to Glas Allt Shiel and take the estate road along the lochside to the east end of Loch Muick. From there a path cuts across the moor to join the land rover track on the far side back to the Spital