Date/TimeDate(s) - 11/05/2008
Walk DetailsPub Stop?: No O/S Map Sheet No.: 43 Grid Ref. Start: Grid Ref. Finish Walk (Miles): 19 Walk Hours: Bus Time to Walk: Bus Time from Walk: Departure time from walk:
Our popular venue today provides an opportunity to add to our list of hills climbed or to revisit a favourite walk. The bus will be parked at the Linn of Dee car park (NGR.063.898) and there are numerous walks and climbs available from there, some of which are described below.
For safety reasons members are requested to indicate on the attendance sheet where they intend going.
1) A low level walk with little climbing:- via Glen Lui to Derry Lodge, thence via path on West side of Glen Derry to footbridge at NGR.040.958 or just beyond it up the glen. Return by land rover track on the East side of the glen.
Walking distance = 10 miles (6 hours)
2) Carn A’ Mhaim (1037m.,3329ft):- via Glen Lui to Derry Lodge, thence via Glen Luibeg to footbridge at NGR.013.942. Climb up from Lairig Ghru path beyond the bridge to reach summit of Carn a’ Mhaim at the South end of the ridge. Return the same way or traverse the ridge northwards and then descend via the Allt Carn a’ Mhaim back to Glen Luibeg.
Walking distance = 13 or 15 ½ miles + ascent of 2100ft (8 hours)
3) Sgor Mor (813m.,2666ft) and Sgor Dubh (741m.,2432ft):- take the road from Linn of Dee to White Bridge then follow track up the West side of Glen Dee to beyond a plantation of trees at NGR.997.897. Cross burn here and climb northwards to reach the summit of Sgor Mor then head eastwards for Sgor Dubh. Descend south-eastwards via Carn an’ic Duibhe to return to the Linn of Dee.
Walking distance = 11 miles + ascent of 1500ft (7 hours)
4) Derry Cairngorm (1155m.,3788ft):- via Glen Derry to Derry lodge, thence via Glen Luibeg and Luibeg Burn. Climb the ridge northwards to summit of Carn Crom (890m.2919ft) and continue northwards along the ridge to reach summit of Derry Cairngorm. Return the same way or descend from Carn Crom into Glen Derry and follow the path back to Derry Lodge and thence back to the Linn of Dee.
Walking distance = 15 miles + ascent of 3950ft (9 ½ hours)
5) Cairn Toul (1250m.,4241ft):- via Glen Lui to Derry Lodge thence vai Glen Luibeg and Lairig Ghru path to cross the Dee to Corrour Bothy. Climb up Coire Odhar behind the Bothy and follow the edge of Coire ant-Saghdeir northwards to reach the summit. Return the same way